Some people wonder why we go through so much “trouble” to do a baptism. If it’s not necessary for salvation, what's the big deal?
Why is it important to be baptized?
- Jesus commands it – Matthew 28:19.
- Jesus gave us the example by being baptized himself – Matthew 3:13-15.
- Baptism by immersion is an act of obedient identifi cation with Jesus as Lord. It serves as an outward sign of conscious confession of repentance and faith.
What is the meaning and who can do it?
- Baptism is a beautiful picture of being identifi ed with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. As a believer is lowered into the water, this symbolizes our identification with Christ in His death and burial, and our commitment to die to sin and self. As the believer is lifted up out of the water this shows that we now live in the power of Christ’s resurrection – Romans 6:4.
- Baptism doesn’t get us into heaven; it is an act of obedience and a public testimony of our acceptance of the gift of salvation offered through Jesus Christ – Ephesians 2:8-9.
I want to be baptized! What now?
- Stop by the Connect Center on Sunday to speak to someone about your baptism, or call the pastoral office Monday-Thursday at 816-353-1994.
- Once your baptism schedule is set, invite family and friends to this special day!
- Continue growing by registering for the next Starting Point class or joining a LifeGroup.